|Breeders Award Programme|
|Tuesday, 03 March 2009 20:39|
The BLA Breeders Award Program
Attendees at the Spring 2009 Auction will have heard a lecture by Bob Cashin about the American Livebearers Associations Breeders Award Programme (BAP).
The BLA have decided to launch our own version after members expressed an interest in the idea. This article is intended to outline the scheme and explain how to get started. If anyone has any comments or suggestions about the BAP, please contact the BAP coordinator.
The purpose of the BAP is:-
How the BAP will work:-
Who runs the BAP?
the BAP will be run by a BAP sub-committee. However, for the time being The BLA
Coordinator is Duncan Hughes-Phillips.
What do I have to do to enter?
1. Successfully spawn a fish and raise at least ten fry to an age of 12 weeks.
2. Complete a Spawning Report for each successful spawn.
3. For every fifth species credited, carry out any one of the following: -
3.1. Submit an article (with pictures) for publication in the BLA magazine and / or BLA website.
3.2. Give a lecture at a BLA Event on the spawning of the species.
3.3. Supply either six unsexed juveniles or one sexed pair of the species in question for sale at a BLA event. The proceeds of the sale will go to fund the BAP programme and any additional proceeds will be donated to an appropriate good cause as selected by the BLA Management Team and / or BAP Sub-committee from time to time (any member can suggest a good cause).
4. In order to successfully spawn any species, a BLA member should hold that fish for at least 12 weeks before the date of the spawn
5. To kick start the programme, we are initially accepting retrospective spawns from January 1st 2005
Where and how do I register a brood?
1. Please submit your reports to Duncan in any suitable format including email, word processing documents, spreadsheets and printed copies.
2. You can use any of the following methods to submit reports:
2.1. by Email – duncanhughesphillips(at)hotmail.com
2.2. by using the Private Message function on this site.
2.3 by post to:
What information is required to register a brood?
To register a brood, provide whatever of the following that are available: -
1. Breeder’s Details – Breeder’s Name / BLA Membership Number
2.Species’ Details -
2.1. Species Name,
2.2. Collection Details,
2.3. LRCS Number. This can be obtained by contacting Don Kenwood.
3. Date Acquired and Who From.
4. Approx Fish Size and Age (Male) / (Female)
5. Species Tank
5.1. Tank Dimensions & Size (cm / inch / litres)
5.2. Substrate, Decoration & Filtration
5.3. Water Conditions pH / Temperature / Gh
5.4. Feeding / Maintenance Regime
6. Birthing Details
6.1. Spawning Date
6.2. Number of Fry / Approx size of fry
6.3. Flock Breeding?
7. Fry Rearing
7.1. Rearing Tank Dimensions / Tank Size,
7.2. Substrate, Decoration & Filtration
7.3. Water Conditions pH / Temperature / Gh
7.4. Feeding / Maintenance Regime
8. Any Other Information
What are the Levels of Attainment?
The following are the proposed levels of attainment, however these levels and the awards themselves will be confirmed as we gauge the interest and participation in the program.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 17 December 2009 15:26|
Most Read Atricles
Hosted by Aquatic Interests